Search

The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery of Shupyk National Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education was found in 1931 as the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Dentistry of Kyiv Institute of Advanced Training of Physicians of the Ministry of Health of the USSR. It was located on the clinical base of the Research Institute of Orthopaedics and Traumatology and included three staff members: Full Professor S. N. Vaisblat, who was the head of the department, and two Assistant Professors.   

                             

Full Professor S. N. Vaisblat                Full Professor M. M. Velikanova                 Full Professor   E. A. Aleksandrova

In 1950-1957 the department was headed by Full Professor M. M. Velikanova.

         In 1957 the head of the department became Full Professor E. A. Aleksandrova. In1964 the Department of Preventive and Prosthetic Dentistry separated from the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Dentistry.

In 1964 it was called the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 

In 1974-1989 the department was headed by Full Professor O. M. Solntsev.

During 10 years (1973-1983) the clinical base of the department had been oral and maxillofacial unit of Clinical Hospital №24 (Reiters'ka Str.), and since 1983 the department's base has been oral and maxillofacial unit of City Clinical Hospital №12 (Pidvysots'koha Str.) and City Dental Clinic. In 1974-1989 the department was named the Department of Dental Surgery.

         In 1989 the department was renamed the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Since 1989 the head of the department has been O. O. Timofyeyev, Academician of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Academician of the Academy of Medical and Technical Sciences of Russian Federation, MD, Dr. Sc., Full Professor, Honoured Scientist and Technician of Ukraine, Member of the European and International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, President of the Ukrainian Association of  Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and Dental Surgeons, Head of the Centre of Oral and Maxillofacial and Plastic Surgery, DDG (Deputy Director General of the International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England), DG (American Bibliographical Institute, N.C., the USA). He is the Honoured Member of the councils of American Bibliographical Institute (ABI) and International Biographical Centre; was awarded the Diploma "For Achievements in the Twenties Century" (International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England), Medal of Freedom (2006, the USA).